Monday, November 7, 2011

Choosing Peace

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me." --Jill Jackson Miller and Sy Miller

Every Sunday after the service at Seattle Unity we sing a song about peace. And every week it brings tears to my eyes. This Sunday it was "Let There Be Peace On Earth" and as I stood there holding hands with my son and with the stranger next to me I was overcome with feeling.

I knew at that moment that peace was possible and that it did begin with me. I also knew that I had been given many chances during the week to let peace begin with me that I had let pass. Just the previous day I had chosen to gossip to a friend about their ex, snapped at my husband (in front of a friend no less - Hi Tom!) for leaving the back door open, and gotten my knickers in a twist about a friend of my son's who just couldn't stop bragging. 

In each case I had the chance to chose peace and I chose something else - pride, anger, ego. 

The great news is that every moment we get a second chance to choose and we can choose peace. "Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with ME."


No comments:

Post a Comment