Monday, November 29, 2010

'Tis the Season


"That which supports life is supported by life...giving and receiving are one and the same."


"Giving and receiving are one and the same." It makes sense when you say it, but not always when you live it.

What about when there is one cereal bowl full of milk left and two kids who need breakfast? Or one laptop and two parents who want to veg out in front of it? How do we give when giving feels like someone losing out?

Another of my favorite quotes about generosity is from Kahlil Gibran. He said, "Generosity is not giving me that which I need more than you do, but it is giving me that which you need more than I do."

Ever since I read this quote, I have been trying to think of a time when I have committed a truly generous act. And while there may have been a few parenting moments that qualify (who can really say for sure if a five-year-old needs a drink of water more than the parent of a five-year-old needs to sleep through the night?) mostly I have to admit that I have not. 

Someday I will.

Until then, here is a story about generosity to kick off the holiday madness (you have to read most of the article to get to the good part). I am not sure it qualifies under the above definition, but it's a great place to start.

Happy Holidays!

http://www.nexttopcreditunionexec.com/blog/tina-hall-from-verity-credit-union-wins-title-in-cues-next-t.html

No comments:

Post a Comment