Monday, June 20, 2011

Love and Work


"Work is love made visible." 

--Kahlil Gibran 

I have loved the poetry of Kahlil Gibran since I was a young adult. His book, The Prophet was one of the first spiritual books I ever owned. My dad turned me onto him and even before I had kids his poem, "On Children,"always brought me to tears.

This quote is fitting today because I have been called in to work on my day off.

I do not have to go, but I find myself wanting to. I want to show my co-workers - the ones who will be there under pressure and short-staffed, the one who called in sick, the ones who are out on vacation - that I love them, that I support them, that I am there for them.

This quote came from a greeting card I was preparing this morning to give to some of our parent volunteers at our end of the year puppet show later today. Some of these parents have showed up once a week to check homework, prepare packets, and assist the teachers for two years.  

Do they do it because they love making photo copies or checking in homework? I doubt it. 

They do it because they love their children and they are showing that love by showing up every week to help their child's teacher have more time to spend in the classroom with students, teaching. 

They do it for love. 

I do this for love too. Because I love these quotes and I want to share them with you. 

So often we think of work as WORK, ugh! But work can be love made visible and thinking of work this way not only transforms the work, it transforms us. 

How can you show love through your work today? Go out and do it!

[NB. Starting tomorrow I am launching a new blog project with my sister. Check it out at: www.dearsoulsisters.com!]

No comments:

Post a Comment