Friday, January 14, 2011

Where I Was


"BE WHERE YOU ARE."

--The Universe

Sometimes this is easier said than done, and sometimes it is easy. 

Last weekend we went away with a few Boy Scout families to the snow. Packing up was not easy, getting the heck out of Dodge was not easy, being there with 50 people we didn't really know that well was not easy, getting home across the pass was not easy. 

Thankfully though, on Saturday I was able to spend 90 blissful minutes in the woods, alone, on cross country skis. 

Some moments, some places, some times make it almost impossible not to be where you are. 

I found being out in the snowy woods all alone to be one of those times. It was so quiet, so peaceful, so incredibly beautiful, that I just couldn't help but take it all in. 

Here are three beautiful things from my time in the woods last weekend:

1) Frozen water in a ditch looks like a small gray pond surrounded by snow;

2) The sound of snowflakes hitting the electric wires, somewhere between a zap and a ping;

3) Lying in the middle of the cross country ski trail after a fall and finding myself in a circle of snow-covered trees swaying in the wind.


No comments:

Post a Comment