Monday, January 10, 2011

Time is on my side


"I am convinced that there are times in everybody's experience when there is so much to be done, that the only way to do it is to sit down and do nothing."

--Fanny Fern, from The Sun, October 2010

Last Wednesday was my first "normal" day since the holidays. The kids were back in school, I had nothing scheduled, and a full six hours in which to do whatever I pleased. 

So what did I do? I read. I surfed. I ate. I bathed. 

But underneath it all was my running "to do" list of things not getting done: write (I tried, but nothing was working that day), file, clean, call the washing machine repair man. 

As I sat there doing nothing I tried to imagine a day in which all of my "to-dos" were done. Would this be a great day? Or would it be death? 

I had to remind myself (once again) that there will never come a day when I am "all done," either with my chores or with my Self. 

Even on that day when life decides that I am indeed, "all done," there will be a "to do" list left behind.

I just hope that when that day comes I am ready and that I will find it easy to let go of my "to dos" and just be.

No comments:

Post a Comment