Monday, October 3, 2011

S-L-O-W-I-N-G D-O-W-N

"Slow down and agree to get less done. Every day take two things off of your "to do" list." 

--Anne Lamott

Last Thursday I showed up to dinner with a friend and the first thing she asked me was, "Are you okay?" 

My answer? "I don't think so."

Last week was a beast of a week and it culminated in that Thursday. Just sitting down to dinner and talking with a friend helped. 

That night I decided to go away for the weekend. The next morning I got online and looked up an old article in Seattle Woman Magazine that I remembered reading in 2009. It was about local retreat sites. 

I chose one, called up the owner and asked if I could come that afternoon. He said yes and off I went. 

Never has a place been so perfectly designed for retreating. Earth Sanctuary on Whidbey Island truly is a little bit of Heaven on Earth. 

Designed by Chuck Pettis, author of Secrets of Sacred Space, it is a wonderland of wonders. On this 72-acre nature preserve there are sacred spots at every turn: a labyrinth, Tibetan prayer wheels, a native American medicine wheel, prayer stones, stone circles and even a stupa. Each imbued with its own special energy. 

I walked. I prayed. I meditated. I slowed down. 

I also wrote, but not frantically, as I sometimes do in order to GET IT DONE so I can move on to the next thing. I wrote mindfully, purposefully, with passion and with love. 

And I made a promise to myself to do this more often. To take more breaks. To take more breaths. To get less done. 

I urge you this week to look at your own life. Where are you racing around like a chicken with your head cut off? Where are you frantic and frazzled? Take a break. Take a breath. Agree to get less done. 


[Here's another great article in the same vein from my Twitter friend Fiona: Writing Your Way Towards Slow]

No comments:

Post a Comment