Wednesday, March 9, 2011

PRIDE! (in the name of LOVE)


"Being absolutely present and engaged with each moment is generally the way to go. However, sometimes it's best for you and all concerned if you can take a step back from the intensity of the present. Ask yourself, 'How will I feel about this in 10 years?' Then channel your decade-older self and speak from his/her perspective. People might think you're crazy because you're laughing instead of furious, or casual instead of intense. But coming from that place will generate a more positive situation...." 

--From Sign Language by Caeriel Crestin in Maui Time News

Earlier this year we had our kids' parent-teacher-conferences. They went well. Very well.

Our kids are bright, well-adjusted, and well-behaved (for the most part anyway :)

Walking home I felt proud of my kids. Proud of their accomplishments in school thus far. Proud to be their mom.

As I continued to reflect on these feelings of pride I found myself wondering....is this what life is all about?

Smart children. Good meetings. Proud parents.

Or is life about learning and growing and sometimes making a mess?

And I began to wonder....am I going to feel as proud of my kids when they are messing up as I do when they are doing well?

Am I going to feel proud the first time one of them fails a test, or sneaks out of the house, or gets his heart broken,  knowing that they are learning as much - if not more - from these experiences as from doing well in school?

The conclusion I came to was: I hope so.

I hope I can remember to view their slips, missteps and failures with as much pride as I view their accomplishments and successes, knowing that BOTH are an integral part of this human life.

No comments:

Post a Comment