Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Mystery of the King


"You haven't dared yet lose faith - so how can faith grow in you?
You haven't dared yet risk your heart - so what can you see of reality?
You're obsessed - still! - with the carnal screams of your life.
How do you hope to step into the Mystery of the King?
You are a sea of gnosis hidden in a drop of dew,
You are a whole universe hidden in a sack of blood.
What are all this world's pleasures and joys
That you keep grasping at them to make you alive?
Does the sun borrow light from a mote of dust?
Does Venus look for wine from a cracked jug?"


(Translated by Andrew Harvey from A Year of Rumi)

This quote is a perfect example of why I started this blog. Sometimes a quote just shows up, so perfect, that you want to share it with the world. 

Today, a little Rumi for you. 

I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this poem. Especially the following lines, "You haven't dared yet lose faith - so how can faith grow in you?" and "You're obsessed - still! - with the carnal screams of your life."

I HAVEN'T yet dared to lose faith and I AM obsessed with the carnal screams of my life. It's that tiny little seed of hope inside of me - for a better life, a different life, an easier life - that keeps me trapped in the past, in the future, in the carnal screams of my life. 

I desperately want to step out of the carnal screams and into the present moment, where there is no hope, no fear, just what IS.

No comments:

Post a Comment