Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Laughter is the Best Medicine


"my soul's journey

To let go of the fear and anger which imprisons my heart,
To relinquish all childish expectations and live joyfully in the 

      world  as it is -- not as I wish or imagine it to be,
To be free of the always craven and ever-craving ego,
To be released from the endless hungers of the body,
To see God in others,
To see God in everything,
To die without death and merge my consciousness into the
      cosmic sea of bliss from which I came,
To crank out two sitcoms a week that can compete
      with a deaf chick dancing her ass off...
This is my soul's journey."

--Chuck Lorre, writer and producer of The Big Bang Theory, from Vanity Card #196 

Once again the Universe provided much-needed comic relief at the perfect moment. 

After the out-of-control birthday party mentioned in my blog post for Monday, I escaped to the basement and into one of my favorite shows, The Big Bang Theory.  

For 22 blissful minutes I sat and laughed my ass off, accepting the much-needed comic relief with gratitude.

And at the end of the show I was further blessed with this message from the Universe via one of its holy messengers, Chuck Lorre.

I don't know much about this guy, other than he can write the shit out of a 22 minute sit-com and he has a healthy dose of self-awareness and self-deprecation, but I love him and consider him somewhat of a kindred spirit (or at least someone to whom I would want to be a kindred spirit). 

This little poem or bit of verse is a perfect example of the genius of Chuck Lorre because it contains the yin and yang of life so perfectly.

He, like all of us, is looking for something big and holy and lofty, and in the meantime is stuck here on earth doing something small and crass and mundane. 

And that, it seems to me, is the human fucking condition. 

We all have inside of us this soul that wants to soar and fly and reach the heights that we know are sometimes available to us; and we are all trapped inside of these bodies that shit and piss and breakdown and cause us to feel pain and anger and despair time after time, day after day, year after year. And there is nothing for us to do but live with it and accept it and - when we can - find a way to laugh about it. 

Thanks for the reminder Chuck. You are an angel in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment