Friday, August 12, 2011

Off the Hook

"Tell everyone you know: 'My happiness depends on me, so you're off the hook.' And then demonstrate it. Be happy no matter what they're doing. Practice feeling good, no matter what. And before you know it, you will not give anyone else responsibility for the way you feel – and then, you'll love them all because the only reason you don't love them is because you're using them as your excuse not to feel good.” 

--Esther Hicks, from "Ask the Coach" on Facebook 

"Amen, sister!" And a huge "I'm sorry," to all those in my past who I have made responsible for my happiness. 

Maybe it was reading this quote last week that allowed me to make a different choice when we arrived at our friend's cabin last weekend for a couple of days at the beach. 

It was around 8:00 at night and the sun was starting to set. We had bags of clothes, bedding and a cooler full of food to put away. I started to work on getting settled in when my husband said to the kids, "Let's head to the beach!" 

My heart immediately sank, I was going to miss the romp on the beach because I had to put all of this STUFF away. Pout. Then something clicked and I realized, I didn't HAVE to do anything. 

The clothes and bedding could wait, the food was on ice....I COULD go to the beach. 

So I went. And in so doing, let my husband and my sons off the hook for my happiness, which worked out better for all of us. 

Try it this weekend and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment