Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bread vs. Toast


"'Once bread becomes toast, it can never become bread again.' Today I saw that piece of wisdom scrawled on the wall of a cafe's restroom. I immediately thought of you. Metaphorically speaking, you're thinking about dropping some slices in the toaster, even though you're not actually ready to eat yet. If it were up to me, you would wait a while before transforming the bread into toast -- until your hunger got ratcheted up to a higher level. The problem is, if you make the toast now, it'll be unappetizing by the time your appetite reaches its optimum levels. That's why I suggest: Put the bread back in the bag. For the moment, refrain from toasting."

--Rob Brezsny, Free Will Astrology 

This is my horoscope for this week. Or, rather, it is my rising sign horoscope for this week. 

As I understand it, your sun sign (the horoscope which is based upon the day of your birth) is how you present to the world and your rising sign (the horoscope which is based upon the time and place of your birth on that day) is what you are like on the inside. 

My sun sign is Capricorn and my rising sign Aquarius, which totally makes sense to me. I definitely present as a practical, disciplined and reserved Capricorn to the world, but inside I am a friendly, loyal, and somewhat unconventional Aquarius. 

The older I get the more I feel like my inner Aquarius is trying to express itself. I always read both just so I know what is going on with both the inner me and the outer me that week. 

Sun sign or rising sign, Rob Brezsny always seems to nail it.

I love this horoscope. It is wise and insightful, while at the same time being playful and fun. 

"Refrain from toasting" has become my new mantra. It reminds me to stay in the moment. To enjoy what is happening NOW and not what I am looking forward to happening later, or wish would happen tomorrow, or am planning on happening next week. 

NOW is the bread, the future is the toast. Don't forget to enjoy the bread because you are not yet ready for the toast. The toast will come in it's own good time, but if you force it you may just end up with a piece of toast that is burnt or stale or for some other reason inedible. 

"Once bread becomes toast, it can never be bread again....Refrain from toasting."

No comments:

Post a Comment